Tour Summary: Capture the brilliant colors of a Hawaiian sunset on this small group guided photo tour of the Kohala Coast. See ancient sites, breathtaking lookouts, hidden coves, and of course the sunset. Tour ends at a secluded and dark astrophotography location near Waimea.
- Professional guide sharing history, culture and photography tips
- Stroll the shoreline of the Historic Lapakahi State Park
- Explore Historic Downtown Hawi and the King Kamehameha Statue
- Visit the breathtaking scenic overlook at Pololu Valley
- Capture the spectacular sunset on the scenic Kohala Mountain Road
- Guide assists you with astrophotography skills for memorable photos
- Stargaze at a secluded location for stunning night sky photos
- Small group tour - maximum 8 people
Important: Wear comfortable clothing in layers as temperatures vary from warm to cool. Covered walking shoes are required
|(excluding booking fee)||$189||$179|
Tour Provider: Wasabi Tours
Activity: Photography tour
Tour start time: 1 pm
Duration: 8 to 9 hours
Departure from: Kailua Kona
Pick-up available? Yes! Pick up from all resorts and hotels in Keahou, Kona, Waikoloa, and Kohala area between 12:30 to 1:30 pm
Included: Assorted juices, snacks and bottled water. . All park entrance fees, warm jackets.. A tripodfor sunset and astrophotography.
Cancellations: Minimum 24 hours notice for groups of 1-5, 48 hours notice for groups of 6 or more, and 72 hour notice for private groups to receive a full refund
Wasabi Tour Hawaii’s top priority is the health and safety of their guests and employees. They are closely monitoring the situation and guidance from the World Health Organization, Center for Disease Control, and Hawaii Department of Health.
In addition to their standard cleaning procedures they have implemented the following enhanced measures:
Before each tour starts:
- All lunch meals are prepared in their certified commercial kitchen,which follows the strict guidelines required by the State of Hawaii Department of Health.
- Verification for disinfectant cleaning in the tour vehicle is mandatory for all guides.
- Disinfectant wipes and hand sanitizers are provided for all guests in the vehicle
During each tour:
- Proper hand washing procedures and best practices for hygiene are communicated on each tour.
After each tour ends:
- All interior and exterior of the vans are thoroughly cleaned with disinfectant by dedicated cleaners.
- Seats belts, headrest, armrest, seats, control knobs, dashboards, key, handles and all upholstery are additionally wiped with disinfectant.
- All jackets are cleaned with disinfectants after each tour and are deep cleaned/washed weekly.
The Wasabi Tour team members are instructed to remain home at any sign of illness and are aware of proper hand washing procedures. Wasabi Tours recognizes that these are uncertain times and they are committed to do everything they can to take care of their guests and community.
Capture the brilliant colors of a Hawaiian sunset on this guided photo tour of the Kohala Coast. See ancient sites, breathtaking lookouts, hidden coves, and of course the sunset. The tour ends at a secluded astrophotography location near Waimea.
Photography tips and guide credentials:
This tour is led by a photographer guide who gives photography tips which means you will have the best possible chance of getting frame-worthy vacation photos. Beginner friendly and also suited for people who bring smartphone cameras.
Most tours are supervised by Ehitu Keeling, who is a part time professional photographer with published work in e.g. National Geographic, Surfer magazine, Red Bull, and X-Games. Guests will learn:
- The best angles and locations to take pictures at various scenic and off the beaten path places.
- How to use different ISO, exposure, and shutter speed settings to capture the environment and surroundings during different time of the day and in various lighting conditions.
- If you bring a smartphone, we can also show them features, software and hardware tools on their phones that allow them to take better pictures.
A tripod, especially handy for low-light conditions and longer exposure photos of e.g. waterfalls, is also available for you.
Typical itinerary for the kohala sunset and astrophotography tour
Most of this tour takes place on the most northern tip of the Big Island, on the ancient Kohala volcano. After pickup our first stop is the Lapakahi State Park where we can get a glimpse of old Hawaii. This coastal park is one of the most well-preserved settlements on the island and will bring a historic value to your photo collection.
Our next stop is the original King Kamehameha I Statue in the quaint town of Hawi. King Kamehamea the 1st was the founder and first rules of the kingdom of Hawaii,? and one of the most famous people in Hawaiian history.
Close to Hawi is the stunning Pololu valley carved into the Kohala Volcano. From the lookout you get great shots of the black sand beach on the valley floor and the many valleys and cliffs stretching all the way out to Waipi’o valley.
As sunset draws near we head out the the Kohala mountain road which is a perfect place to photograph the sunset. Our location gives you a panoramic overview of the Kohala coast with the Hualalai and Mauna Loa volcanoes in the background. Have a look at the following picture to see how beautiful our sunsets regularly get:
After the sun has set we head out to Waimea to have dinner and to wait for darkness.? The we head to a secluded and dark location where you test out your photo settings against the twinkling stars and the milky way in the Hawaiian night sky.
Astrophotography beginner tips:
Getting excited? You can start by having a look at this beginners guide to astrophotograpy to start learning about astrophotography.
Wasabi Tours is a locally owned and operated company specialize in guided small group tours on the Big Island. Their multilingual guides (speaking English, Chinese, and Spanish) are all park ranger trained with years of experience guiding fully narrated tours on the island. They have a wealth of knowledge about the history, cultures, geography, wildlife and botany of Hawaii.
They proudly supports the sustainable tourism tenets of the Sustainable Tourism of Hawaii Association. In accordance with these values they maintain an ongoing commitment in the areas of environmental preservation, interpretive training for staff, and guest relationship management.
Wasabi Tours has been in business since 2006 and strives to create tours that allow guests to not only discover highlights of the island, but also to explore off the beaten paths. They receive consistent stellar reviews both for the content of their tours and for their professional and knowledgeable tour guides, and we are confident you will be in capable hands with them.
We are affiliate partners with Wasabi Tours meaning that we receive a percentage for each successful booking made through our website. This happens without any additional charge to you! (read more on the use of those links on our website here).
By booking tours through our website you support LoveBigIsland.com and help us to provide you and future visitors with free and high quality information about the Big Island. Thanks, you guys are amazing!